Thursday, October 24, 2013

Sunday, October 20 - Edinburgh exploration

Another gourmet breakfast full of toast and sink water.  The shower was sooo nasty yesterday we felt cleaner avoiding the shower.  Caylas hair looks bomb even if she doesn't wash it for months... But I don't shower for 2 hours and look like death... So the mind the pictures :)
We walked out and bumped into the rat race in action under the castle... Too cool!!! Today it was 70% rain- but it was blue skies and gorgeous... So weather people here are just as confused as in Pitt!!!


First stop:  The Scott Monument





We kept walking to find the bridge where a huge underground mall was... Cayla was begging to go in but the day was so nice we decided to venture out and if we had time - go back:)




This is the mall... Literally huge!




As we were walking we walked into Calton Hill.. The very edge of the cry near the mountain range surrounding Edinburgh... It was maybe a 20 minute walk...  So it was nice we were sooo close to everything!!!








It was Caylas great idea for me to climb up first and she'd take my picture... So I climbed to the top... And fell off the back of it while Cayla wasn't watching.  Well behind this wonderful monument is weeds, high grass and is gated.  The only way out is to climb the fence.. Through the weeds... It was a metal fence- only had long poles, no horizontal ones so it was very hard to climb and I ended up with battle wounds.  20 minutes later I walk around the memorial to find Cayla snapping pictures for other people--- glad to see her concern for her lost friend... All she said was omg Nicole I took these boys pictures so now they can take some of us together.... Hahahaha guess it worked out in the end!













Craving Italian food, we stopped at an Italian restaurant for pizza and fries-- such the adventurous foodies;)




Other than the Lochness - Caylas only talked about this dang dog statue for weeks since she found a picture of it.  Thinking it'd be this ginormous statue, she made it a point to find this thing that I turned out we walked past every day being here....Greyfriars Church & Greyfriars Bobby Memorial!!!!  It is quite a cute story though if you read the info in the picture with Cayla below:) 





Annnndddd we walked into old town!!!  LOVEEEDDD this area!!!!!!












After we walked around that area- we wanted to see the "posh" streets of Rose street and George street... Lovvvveeedddd this--- very much like Shadyside in Pitt!!!


Time to head home:(. We went to the hostel to collect our belongings and asked where the bus stop was.. It was by the church with British flags.  It was only 415 and ou flight was 7... So we had some time but figured we may as well not stress like usual.  We go to the bus stop to find it was moved down the street since construction was happening.  We walk to the new stop and watched an airlink drive right past us.  We asked another man and he said it was down the street further.  So we walked down the street more--- another bus passed us and Cayla shouts to a different bus about how we get on airlink.  He said it was around the corner (where we were initially... ) so we walked back.  

Then a tour bus was at that first stop we were at so we figured he'd know best!   He said they moved the stop on the other side of the road down by a different church--- holy heck- hardest bus to find everrrrr!!!!  We finalllly made it to the stop - 35 minutes, 4 buses later.  

As we were waiting I realized I left my passport at the hostel--- OH MY WORD.  Soooo I get up leave my stuff and dead sprint to the hosteland busted in.  The worked said- leave your passport??  Urgghhh yes mister I said with anxiety-- after telling him my name I got my passport and as I sprinted back a bus wasat the stop... And I actually made his bus!  First lucky thing for me ever... Everything happens for a reason I suppose... Good thing we didn't make any of the other buses!!!

As we got on Ryan air, we were the only ones with priority seating.... Oops.  We paid £25 eaten each way bc we thought we had too... Explains why our tickets doubled in price-__-



My lovely souvenirs :). We loved scotland soooo much... Definitely going back one day:)



Irish word of the day:  on the Terrance- means going out to have drinks!


No comments:

Post a Comment