Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Day 8: Friday, October 11 - Leopardstown & Plan B

Liam called me last night and asked if I could go to Leopardstown since it would only be him in the morning since Julie has an exam.  I happily agreed to take the tram over to help him out:). It was a pretty uneventful morning.  We probably did about 5 an hour so that gave us tons of time to talk and me to learn about their process for everything!

SO they have available to the patients something known as Drug Payment Scheme (DPS).  If their household medication costs exceed 144 euro for the month, they can fill out a form that enrolls them in DPS.  So this means for the entire month for their entire household, they only pay 144 euro each month- the government pays the rest!  Additionally, it is absolutely no charge to them, the pharmacist just needs to give them the form to fill out and submit.  They do not even have to pay the 144 until they reach that amount.  So since Liam knows all his customers/patients, he does not charge them until they want to pay the required amount.  I guess that is definitely a perk of a small town pharmacy:)  Everyone is quite honest and I have not seen any "funny business" at all yet!

A girl, born in 1994, came in requesting the "morning after pill."  Liam asked me to hand her a questionaire that helps determine if she is a candidate for this medication.  After learning she is not on a current contraception, it was within 24 hours, she has no allergies and no family history significant for reactions to this active ingredient - Liam determined she was a candidate.  He submitted a prescription for her, and labelled it and provided her with detailed paperwork on counseling.  It was pretty standard information:  If she vomits within 3 hours- take another tablet ASAP, she may experience stomach cramping - if it is unbearable, she should seek medical help, etc.



I read a little in the Irish newspaper - it was interesting because the paper was filled with information regarding regulations and laws about abortion.  One of the big topics here right now is around a woman from Northern Ireland who was very high risk for a miscarriage and it was a risk to her health - they are completely and totally against abortion here and refuse to do so regardless of the situation.  Well apparently there were over 13 times they could have intervened to avoid her unfortunate outcome of going into sepsis and passing away.  It resulted in an incredible amount of attention - and now a woman with twins and diagnosed with severe spina bifida and no skull - she has to go to London to have the abortion because they cannot agree on how long someone can "live" outside the womb.  It is a very blurry line.

I noticed everyyyyyone here is incredibly open about talking about politics.  People will literally just walk up to me and ask how I feel about Obama, or what side of the political spectrum I am.  It is quite interesting because back home, people are told to not talk about the 3 sensitive topics to just random strangers - money, religion, and politics.  Except, here, it is all anyone talks about!!!  Especially American politics - it's all you hear about on their radios and tv!


I finished the order and submitted the new order and headed on my way home around 530!  I was starving when I got home so I decided to try and be a little housewife and cook something from left overs.  It was a wrap with marinara sauce, ham, and salami topped with some basil.....except I am a terrible cook and completely burnt the wrap causing Elaine's house to smell awful for the next 4 hours!  Sorry Elaine:(  That was it for my food, so I was left to just pick at some chips:(  One day I'll learn to cook.  My poor future husband haha!  


Irish word of the day:  Tea time - Dinner time!  Their blister packs even say Morning, Lunch, Tea, Bedtime:)

No comments:

Post a Comment