Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Day 9: Monday, October 14 - Back to Dundrum & Counseling

Back to my favorite, Dundrum<3  I love Dundrum because I get to work with Ailbhe mostly and then Liam - also the sales associates are amazing - Jan & Lornya!  We were all talking and Liam goes what are you doing - to which I responded with BONDING... haha I love working with them. They are all so knowledgeable and teach me so much.

So, I did a lot of the counseling today - I taught patients about their antibiotics and steroid medications.  They prescribing of Clavamel (our Augmentin) is 3 times daily.  Typically we see it in America as twice daily for 10 days - they have three times daily for 7 days.  Also, they use a gastro-protective steroid that is like dexamethasone but is a lot easier on the stomach so taking it with food is not always necessary!  Interesting facts!

Once again, ordering and verifying is a daily duty here!  I am really getting good at this.  It is fascinating because they receive a morning order that replaces their day before afternoon, and an afternoon order that replaces their morning use.  They do not have that high of volume so to me it is interesting they utilize this approach.  Even more interesting, is that HUGE order I walked into on my first day is the "Big mama" replacement that they get the best deals for - these mini orders just replace the must have at all times items.

I noticed they really do not have many combination products here as we do at home for cold and flu.  I asked them how that works, and they do something that is ethically questionable in Ireland.  It is known as link selling.  So if they sell a certain cough syrup of a certain brand - they will sell a certain paracetamol with it and other items that we would typically see in the combo product anyways.  Depending on which of one brand they pick depends on what they give them for the rest.  So it is assumed with a cough they need something for congestion and pain and add those on by recommendations.  This is interesting to me!  I like to just treat the main problem because sometimes the main problem causes other symptoms (congestion from sinus pressure --> headache), so Sudafed may be enough...but they add on other products like Saline, Ibuprofen, or paracetamol depending on the original brand chosen.

The final patient of my day was a Nuvaring counsel.  This is quite similar to American recommendations of leaving it in during sexual intercourse.  If it falls out, rinse it with water and re-insert.  Their package insert has a LOT more picture details then I've ever seen but that is probably very helpful for the patient.

This leads me to this topic I realized.  At home, we always give patients the medication information with every new prescription.  So they are always fully educated regarding their medications.  They do not print out like that here at all.  In fact, most patients do not get it unless the locum, Maria, is working, then she ensures to provide them with the package insert - I plan on doing more research about this later this week what their rules and regulations regarding package inserts for patients are!

Cayla met me at Dundrum shopping centre at 645 - she was late because her lovely preceptor asked her to help with a project for the JCI visit just as Cayla was leaving.  Being the awesome friend I am, I bought Cayla her favorite fries and waited for her to finish up because we wanted to go foooood shopping:)  When she found out I had the fries - she asked me to marry her!! Watch out Sam - I'm moving in on her:)



Since I got her the fries, she got me a milkshake in return --- I love our relationship more and more every day hahahaha!!!  Thank you, Cayla!!




We had quite the adventure food shopping!  We used 2 different food stores because we discovered each has its own little niche.  We had soooo much food in the end it was so hard to carry so I utilized a cart to help us around the mall (you are allowed:))

I pushed it on an escalator - like they have in target in Pitt, but I guess they do not do that here as often as a man waited at the bottom in fear my cart would fall - but it did not even move.  It was very very sturdy in this position:) 




Successful shopping trip:)  We went home - I was stuffed from my healthy meal of fries and a milk shake that I passed up cooking for the first time - ever!   We went to bed earlier this night because tomorrow I am going to the fertility clinic & pharmacy in Beacon!! EEEEE I cannot wait!

Irish word of the Day:  "afters" means dessert - never pass down an offer for afters following a meal:)

No comments:

Post a Comment